After many months of work, Dojo 1.8 Beta is almost here. We expect beta to be ready for use on June 22, 2012, with the final 1.8 release due 4-6 weeks later!
Without further ado, here are 18 things to look forward to in Dojo 1.8:
1. dojo/request, making Ajax far more flexible and powerful, and works inside Node.js
2. dojo/router, a new component for routing to different client-side “pages”
3. dojox/Calendar, a feature rich calendar widget
4. dojox/dgauges, a framework to easily create your own gauges
5. dojox/treemap, a data visualization widget
6. dojox/mobile, 28 new mobile widgets including audio, video, grid layout, tree view, and more
7. Automatic and declarative require, making it easier to work with AMD for features defined in markup
8. dojo/promise was rewritten, making promises and deferreds easier to use and track
9. dojox/mvc was rewritten, along with a new ToDo demo application
10. The API documentation and viewer, and Dojo reference guide are vastly improved for 1.8. For many users, this will be the most welcome change with Dojo 1.8.
11. DnD on mobile platforms
12. Canvas and SVG specific enhancements to GFX, adding significant capabilities
13. General AMD refinements to improve performance and optimize modules throughout the toolkit
14. Dijit Select and Tree now connect directly with Dojo Object Store API
15. Claro’s gradients are easier to customize through CSS rather than images for non-IE browsers
16. CometD and Lightstreamer integrations are updated to AMD, and should be downloaded from their projects
17. General performance improvements to many widgets and to Dojo Charts
18. A mobile migration assistant from 1.6 or 1.7 to 1.8, to make it easy to migrate through the many mobile improvements
Keep following SitePen on your favorite social network for more Dojo 1.8 updates! We’ll be blogging regularly between now and the release of Dojo 1.8 to tell you more.